Treeathletes — What You Need to Know
Location and Time
Barton Springs Pool Treeathlon
Zilker Park (Barton Springs Pool and Polo Field area)
2201 Barton Springs Road
Saturday, April 28, 2012
8:00-9:15 a.m. – Late registration, Packet pickup, and Parking for participants, all at Moonlight Tower parking area and Polo Field parking area (see map).
8:00-9:30 a.m. – Bike check and body marking at T1
9:30 a.m. – Close Transition Areas and Parking Area.
9:30 a.m. – Pre-Event Meeting at Barton Springs Pool side entrance (outside T1).
9:45 a.m. – Enter pool through side entrance and proceed to swim start area on the south side of Barton Springs Pool, next to the diving board. Line up by race number.
10:00 a.m. – Rolling start begins.
Arrive early and allow plenty of time to park at Polo Field parking area (see map). Bring TreeAthlon Parking Pass for free park access until 10 am. Follow “TreeAthlon Parking” signs and directions. Free parking is provided for duration of TreeAthlon event.
Swim Course with Rolling Start
- Swimmers will enter the water on the south side of the pool, and swim diagonally across to the north side exit ramp, approximately 300 feet.
- A rolling start will be used. A swimmer will enter the pool every 3-5 seconds. Pass on the left, and remember, this is not a race. A sequential start reduces the impact on the pool and keeps the course safer for swimmers and cyclists.
- Children can start with an accompanying adult. Please listen for further instructions on the morning of the event.
- Swim caps will not be provided or required; bring your own if you want one.
T1 and T2 Bike Transition Areas
This event involves two transition areas.
- T1 is just west of the Barton Springs Bath House.
- T2 is next to the Polo Fields, run course and finish line party.
- Bike racks and security will be provided at both T1 and T2.
- To set up your race, take your bike, helmet, shoes and (as needed) sunglasses and hat to T1. Rack your bike and note the location. Kid bikes may be set on the grass aside from the racks.
- Because this event involves two transition areas but the bike course is short, we recommend participants wear running shoes for both the bike and run; and for convenience later, you may wish to carry your swim cap and goggles with you on the bike.
- If you plan to wear bike shoes, you may leave running gear in T2.
Bikes and Safety Equipment
- Cyclists will start in the parking lot in front of Barton Springs Pool, and ride along Columbus Road and Andrew Zilker Road for approximately two-thirds of a mile to the second transition area (T2) by the Polo Fields.
- Make sure your bicycle is functioning properly, with well-inflated tires before you start.
- Approved bicycle helmets must be on your head and buckled before you mount your bike.
- Bikes must have covered handle-bar ends, preferably with bar-end inserts or covers.
- The bike route begins in the Pool parking lot and will have pylons to separate any automobile traffic. Please stay to the left of the pylons. Once out of the parking lot, cyclists proceed along Columbus Road and Andrew Zilker Road, which will be closed to automobile traffic. Please be sure to follow the instructions of the volunteer flaggers.
- The bike route begins with a climb up a fairly long hill, so be sure to start out in a climbing gear. If stopping is required, please be aware of other cyclists when you stop or start up again.
- Upon completing the bike course, participants will store their bikes in the second transition area (T2) by the Polo Field, and then proceed around the Polo Field in a counter-clockwise direction.
- Runners may select a quarter-mile course or half-mile course. A volunteer flagger on the course will let you know where to turn off for the shorter course if you wish.
- Given the short course distance, there are no rest stops. However, please stop as frequently as necessary. If stopping, please move to the right and stay out of the road and driveways to allow other participants to pass on the left.
Rest Stops and Refreshments
- The finish line area will have donuts, water, and other refreshments. Please prepare if anything else is needed.
- Toilet facilities at the Bathhouse and Polo Field area will be available for your use.
- The TreeAthlon course is staffed by volunteers. Please be courteous and let them know their time is appreciated.
- Trash cans will be available at the start and finish for trash, including spent bicycle tubes, food wrappers, etc. If you can’t find one, please pack out anything you pack in.
It’s for the Barton Springs Pool…
Please remember that you are participating to raise funds and fun for the Barton Springs Pool, and observe the following:
- The swim portion is in Barton Springs Pool, which will also be open to other swimmers. Please be courteous and quiet when proceeding to the start area on the south side of the pool.
- Please be considerate of other participants, whether in the pool, transition areas, bike route or running course. Pass on the left if possible, and advise beforehand.